Industry professionals from all over the globe came together in record attendance for the ICE London event held from 7-9 February 2023.
APLA Executive Director, John Teo, was invited by organisers to moderate a lottery discussion panel entitled ‘Embracing the change to keep up with younger audiences’ on 8 February 2023.
Panellists included Louisiana Lottery Corporation President & CEO, Rose Hudson; Arizona Lottery former Executive Director, Gregory Edgar; OPAP S.A. Chief Product Office, Fotis Zisimopoulos; and Nederlandse Loterij Business Director Instant Lotteries, Raffaele Fiorini. All panel discussions on the day were chaired by Wisconsin Lottery Director, Cindy Polzin.
Discussion centred around adopting appropriate commercial strategies for the younger customer segment, marketing and gaming mechanisms and branding rejuvenation to increase the appeal of lotteries, and reinventing product offerings to stay relevant in today’s market.
Panellists shared their insights and organisations’ experiences in addressing this topic, including:
- the profile and characteristics of Millennials versus Gen Z
- the games played and the use of product personalisation and advance analytics to improve insights
- the importance of a data strategy and robust communications platform to engage players
- the challenges of balancing commercial decisions to enhance business revenue with responsible gaming considerations
- specific restrictions imposed by states particularly over sports betting
- enhancing features to make games faster and more entertaining
- initiatives to make games more social and dynamic, with group play options
Overall, a very informative and insightful conversation that took place during an electric and dynamic event.
We extend our gratitude to organisers for inviting APLA to be part of ICE London in 2023, and we look forward to more opportunities to connect with our industry peers all over the world this year.