Previously known as Sports Toto Malaysia Sdn Bhd (Sports Toto), STM Lottery Sdn Bhd (from January 2022) was first incorporated by the Malaysian Government in 1969 as a lottery company to raise funds to promote and develop sports, youth and cultural activities.
A significant milestone was reached when the company was privatised on 1 August 1985. Today, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Berjaya Sports Toto Berhad, which is listed on the Bursa Malaysia Stock Exchange.
STM Lottery Sdn Bhd is the sole licensed Lotto operator and the largest number forecast operator in the country with approximately 43% market share. It has about 680 sales outlets throughout the country.
STM Lottery Sdn Bhd over the years has received a number of accolades – the Top 10 Best Managed Company Award by Asiamoney, Smart Investor – KPMG Shareholder Value Award (in Communications, Information and Technology category), and The Edge Billion Ringgit Club Award (in Trading/Services, IPC & Technology Sector).
The Chief Executive Officer is Ms Nerine Tan who was appointed to the role in 2018. She has a degree in Management from the London School of Economics and more than 25 years of experience in sales, marketing, and business development across several operations. She is also the Executive Director of Berjaya Corporation Berhad, Berjaya Land Berhad and Berjaya Group Berhad as well as the Chief Executive Officer of Berjaya Times Square Sdn. Bhd.
Committed to Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes, the STM Lottery Sdn Bhd business philosophy is to uphold the belief of “Supporting our society and follow mankind”.
CSR projects include:
- The Helping Hands programme, which focuses on addressing the difficulty faced by the underprivileged and needy groups.
- Contributing to the festive donation campaigns every year including the Sports Toto Chinese New Year Ang Pow Donation Campaign which commenced in 1988 and benefits senior citizens.
- Reaching out to underprivileged groups such as orphanages, needy families and the Orang Asli community during festivals such as Hari Raya, Harvest and Gawai, Deepavali and Christmas.
- Contributing annually to the National Sports Council to support future athletes. Many sporting events have been sponsored including the Sports Toto’s Go For It! Cross Country Run, Penang Bridge International Marathon and a series of half marathon races throughout the country to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- The Reading My Companion reading project for primary schools and the Chingay parade cultural performance in Penang.
- Providing face masks during the pandemic to school children in Kedah, Selangor, Pahang and Negeri Sembilan to ensure a safe learning environment for the children.
- The annual island conservation day organised by Berjaya Hotels and Resorts to improve and grow the marine ecosystem.
- A food bank project with Kechara Soup Kitchen offering food donations to 192 needy families on a monthly basis.
- Participation in the tree planting campaign held by the Forest Research Institute Malaysia.